Tuesday 3 January 2012

What I did on maternity leave

This may come as no revelation to many working moms, but I was surprised to find that maternity leave no longer exists. Maybe it is too extreme to say the policy is no longer available, for it is, however, the fact of the matter is many moms are working during their maternity leave. In fact, maternity leave is much better labeled “flex time;” flexible time to work from home. There is no actual leave; unless you don’t want to keep the competitive edge. And here is the list of 10 work-outside-the-home things I did for my career in academia during my maternity leave which ends in 2 weeks.
1. I interviewed for a new position.
2. I was hired for a new position.
3. I held countless meetings via Skype for this new position.
4. I attended “face-to-face” meetings on logistics of new position.
5. I sent emails about news related topics to let my colleagues and boss know that I “still mattered” to the university.
6. I was often the first to respond to emails sent out to faculty.
7. I agreed to be part of an international group co-teaching a new course.

8. I attended a 3-day conference via Skype and Movi with other universities and institutions on international/global collaborative learning.
9. I, along with three other faculty members, meet weekly to discuss, plan and design syllabus for new course.
10. I am supervising one student’s final project.
11. Oh yeah, and in the meantime, I am raising and home schooling three children.

No comments:

Post a Comment