Tuesday 11 September 2012

A Raisin in the sun

Looking back on my life and the standard of education I received, I can honestly compare myself to a raisin in the sun. I was left to desiccate in the sun without protection and aide. Like most immigrant children, I was left to maneuver and manage the new US system on my own. I went to school and instead of my parents helping me with school work; I ended up having to help them translate letters sent from the school. I knew I had a quick mind for math, but Mr. Hade ( or Hayde from Elmwood Elementary School in Monsey, NY) thought I was a Haitian girl who was probably good enough to clean his house one day…if well trained. The truth being that I had more social and financial capital in my country than Mr. Hade in his, but as an immigrant in his country; he seemed right. So when he told me in plain language that as a Haitian girl (I was the only girl in his math class) that I was not good in math, I did not know who could tell him otherwise. My parents worked 2 jobs each. And besides, they did not speak English and nor were they empowered enough to tell the teacher that he was wrong. I was still an honors level student. My classes were mostly honors and AP level, but when it came to math I was average. Mr. Hade’s ugly mind had stained my image of myself in math. But my 6 year old son has proved him wrong! Fast forward a Ph.D. and three children; I am now a home schooling mom with a 6 year old doing three-digit division and algebra. How did an average math student train a 6 year old math genius? I’m beginning to realize that I was much smarter in math than I was made to believe. I’m also realizing that I am capable of doing many things that I did not know I could.
Home schooling my children have been such an eye opener and an inspiration. I learn so many things from them. This week’s lesson is teaching me just how inept I am in the arts. We went to our favorite book depot and picked up 2 books on how to draw cars and horses. It turns out that I am a GREAT artist! Who knew? I was able to draw those horses to true form JUST by following the directions. I might be blowing my own horn here, but I realized that home schooling educates everyone in the home! My son is also interested in knowing how to make things using paper such as boats, airplanes, etc. Instead of waiting for my husband do those activities with him, I found a site and learned how. So what is my advice to you? Many of you were made to believe that you are not smart enough, especially not to home school. I learned that it is never too late to teach yourself or learn fractions or whatever else you were made to believe was too “complicated” for your “simple” brain. I also learned from last week’s lesson on the human brain and from Dr. Ben Carson, one of the world’s top brain surgeons, that there is no such thing as a simple brain. Our brains are capable of genius, all of us! He was proclaimed dummy at the age of 10. He became the director of brain surgeons at 33. What did he do? He stopped believing that he was incapable. Maybe that is what we need to stop doing as home educators; stop believing that we are incompetent. If not us, who? All we have to do is think big!

No comments:

Post a Comment